Book Review: Beastly Tales from Here and There - Vikram Seth

Books are fantastic when they help to take you down memory lane. Reading is something that has been inculcated in me since childhood, and there are some fables that stay in my mind even today. Vikram Seth, through this book, Beastly Tales From Here and There brings back those stories, but giving his own spin on it. He puts them, not as they were, but in verse, with simple rhyme and wonderful flow.

He begins with a favorite, the tale of the monkey and the crocodile, one that my sister and I heard and asked for many times. Then there’s the tale of the louse and the mosquito, the cat and the cock, the mouse and the snake etc. Each one of them is an animal fable in verse. And they, as far as I’m concerned, bring with them morals as well.

Reading these beautiful stories in verse, I can’t help but fall in love with poetry again, and with those fables as well. It brings magic with it. No matter what the mood, I feel these tales in verse will leave you with a smile. No. I don’t think they’ll leave you that easily either.

Rated: 4 stars.
Genre: Poetry
Source: Library Copy

Reviewed by Vinay Leo R.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...