A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan



Author: Jennifer Egan 
Price: 12.43 USD
Pages: 352
ISBN: 
 9780307477477

Synopsis (barnesandnoble.com-- a bookstore):
Bennie is an aging former punk rocker and record executive. Sasha is the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. Here Jennifer Egan brilliantly reveals their pasts, along with the inner lives of a host of other characters whose paths intersect with theirs. With music pulsing on every page, A Visit from the Goon Squad is a startling, exhilarating novel of self-destruction and redemption.

Y.Ahn.: 
I was hesitant about this book to begin with. It did win a Pulitzer Prize which is one of the reasons I started to read it. I fell in love almost instantly. This book is written in a really cool structural form. It focuses on lives of Bennie and Sasha but every chapter revolves around a different character that had something to do with these people. There's one chapter about Sasha's boss and many chapters detailing the lives of each one of Bennie's old friends. 

The book mainly touches upon how time affects people and how no one can win against the forces of time. I loved the way she showed how connected people are to everyone even if you don't know it at that point. It affects all the characters in unexpected ways, some towards self destruction and others with redemption.

This book did have a fair share of cursing and drug use so if that makes you uncomfortable then I would suggest skipping this one. I still found it revolutionary! After reading this one, I've been reading all of Jennifer Egan's books. Giving this book a chance, a try definitely wouldn't hurt. 

Rating: 5/5 

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo!
    So that's what it's about. I've had Jennifer Egan constantly turning up on my reading list on Flavorwire and this was the top suggestion...I'm definitely going to give it a try.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...