Review: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

I started this book and my initial thought was that this is another happy go lucky adventure story of a rich spoilt kid with his best friend who he also loves romantically. Within three chapters, something about Henry "Monty" Montague gave me a feeling I was in for good fun. Yes, this book is a fun ride but it has a good handle on the emotional side of the trio (Monty, Percy and Monty's sister Felicity) who accidentally get veered towards this adventure.

Set in the 1700s it takes inspiration from the society's belief at the time about gay love, rights of the black folks and of women. As we travel across cities, it beings the beauty and culture of the cities to surface, even if briefly.  I totally adore Felicity in this story as the girl who has dreams and the brains to match but is being forced to go attend a school where her talents would go waste. She is the voice that actually helps the readers connect to Monty along with the story.  It is a coming to age kind of story that has a bit of predictable end but its the journey to reach there that is worth your time.

I am interested to read the next part of the book now to know of the story from her eyes and perhaps just to see her make her dreams happen.

It is a quick , funny , crazy and sweet tale which is even more fun as an audiobook, narrated by Christian Coulson (sample here)


 
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






     



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...