Frivolous Fridays: The House of Night


The House of Night Novels

By P.C. & Kristen Cast

1st Published: 2007 






How I’ve missed the nerd herd!

You know that moment when one of your favourite movies or books is about to be released or out in stores? It just brings along a sense of excitement that is incomparable and incredible. With the end of the Harry Potter era (although in many ways it is evergreen), The House of Night is one book series that made me profusely thank God that I still have something good to look forward to.

This is just one of those things that I am completely mad about- so obviously, I don’t know where to start, and how to stop. This is one chance for me to say everything I want to, about the HoN books- I could go on and on and on. But keeping in mind the fact that I cannot possibly spoil all the fun for those of you who haven’t read the series yet, I will restrict myself to introducing the important characters and telling you what I love about them, without giving too much away.

[ If by the end of my post, you’re not shaking your head and frowning, you can have a look at the reviews of the books in the series that have been published so far, for further details. All HoN fans from ALOP, and those reading this post, are welcome to add their views here, or in their comments- the people who haven't read the HoN novels are just as welcome. :) ]

The House of Night, the vampire finishing school, is home to Zoey Redbird and her friends, who make up the 'nerd herd'- very cool people who take pride in being called ‘dorks’ (read: fans of Stars Wars, Harry Potter and the like). Zoey's dorm room now feels like my own, and Aphrodite's seems like the kind of room I hope I'll have when I win a million dollars at the lottery.

While I would not say I’d go for just about any book related to vampires, I know I was tempted to read this one because it was a supernatural story. And believe it or not, I was very skeptical about it when I first laid hands on it. But was I surprised! HoN is a fascinating blend of teenage fiction and mythology! It’s very tough to explain just how well PC and Kristen Cast have made use of their knowledge of mythology as well as Cherokee folklore to give this teenage vampire drama a whole new twist. But you'll know exactly how amazing it is, when you read it.

What I expected was to read another Twilight with a lot more slang and swear words. And then people started dying.

The first book in the series, Marked, was a typical Chick Lit about cute guys, prettier and mean rivals, and about finding a place where you can finally belong, with friends who love you just the way you are; all that got me to read the next one was the curiosity that was building up with the suspense in the first book. (If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's an unsolved mystery.) I thought it would be the usual story with a villain who wants power, and your protagonist tries to beat them with her friends by her side. What I never expected was to find one of the most innocent characters dying, in the second book itself, at a point where you could not have even thought something sinister would happen, at a point when you do not even know where the story is heading. And you know what makes you hurt more than anything else when a character you like dies? Realizing that it was the one you could relate to most. It is the freakiest thing ever. 





I could say I relate to all the characters in one way or the other, however. Damien and I share a love for reading and enjoy being the studious kid who tells people to behave; Stevie Rae and I are extremely loyal and yet have a different side to our personalities that most people aren't aware of; just like Erin and Shaunee, I can crack stupid jokes in a serious situation just to make everything seem a little easier to handle (and I also swear at my closest friends, out of 'love'...); Aphrodite (!) and I are alike because we can be very cynical and sarcastic, and we take time to like people but once we do, we love them like no other; and Zoey- well, Zoey and I seem to think it's our job to save the world, we screw things up half the time in trying to do so, and can never stop stressing. Oh yes, there's one more thing- love for the Goddess. 

"...Even in the midst of craziness and exhaustion and life changing chaos, I was filled with peace and the sweet knowledge that I was walking the path my Goddess wanted me on. Not that the path was smooth and pothole free. But still, it was my path, and like me, it was bound to be unique."

10 comments:

  1. I was thinking about reading this series.. maybe I will now :).. I am currently reading "The winter of our discontent."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oct 30. the next part of HoN releases in India. and hopefully within 3-4 days , I will have it

    *drrols at the thought*

    :D

    I downloaded the audio version of book#1 cause I happen to see it. though I took 4 months to begin that , I finished all 7 parts in next 4 months ! and I loved it. Of course people here who have been from beginning know that too well.

    Love is in the air again
    *dances*

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha.... This is awesome. I guess its a field day today for Arpita, MSM and Nimue. God, there's another book. I will never forget that chicklit month.

    Swarnali dear, they're trying to snare us in as well :D

    Loved the meme....i can feel the passion in the post. Although, I repeat, I will never read vampire YA stuff *shudders*, just like some of you will never philosophy or fantasy or god forbid, biographies.

    But am proud of you guys, its the passion that matters. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True said FL .. its the passion that draws me here every day. Infact every bloody 3 hrs , i check the page still for new post , new comment .. And this meme is just this reason. To let each of us express our passions !

    ReplyDelete
  5. but funny thing is , I dnt like zoey as much . I loooove Aphrodite ! and I totally adore Steive . There can be no better friend and leader than she has been for the red vampires :)

    among guys , duh ! all are so damn perfect . Kinda unreal u see :P

    yet, the poet dude was cool <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. @karishma: i'm sure u'll love HoN! thanks for leaving a comment here. :)

    @nimue: i love aphrodite too!!!! zoey is, of course, someone i like but aphrodite is just too awesome. i cannot read two sentences spoken by her without laughing out loud. :D

    she has been the most fascinating, entertaining, interesting character and no matter how much i talk about her, it would just not be enough.

    she is, as darius would say, "unique". ;)

    @FL- awwww..thank you. ^_^ i know you'll probably never read this, but i can dream can't i? :P or maybe you'll watch the movie whenever it will be released. there are about 3 more books to come, and 3-4 novellas about the series, so trust me, zoey and her nerd herd is going to be around a long, long time!! :D ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahem ahem... thanks for the honourable mention there FL :P I am all with you on this one...Hi5!!!
    But coming to the meme...I love it ,Arpi!! I can totally see how much you love your stuff...the way that you have carefully preserved the mystery of the plot and yet craftily sketched all the characters is truly remarkable. The characters do sound good...I might have given this a try if only it weren't a vamp story :|I can barely keep my eyes open watching these vampy YA movies,the books are plain sleep inducing...sorry guys!! :P But as FL said it is truly the passion and love that matters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha..i understand swarnali, but i still wish u'd give this a try! if koustabh can read this, anyone can! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT??? Are you serious?? Kousti read this?? Sacchi mein? Now am reconsidering my opinions, seriously!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. i swear i am telling you the truth, and nothing but the truth! :P :D

    ReplyDelete

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...