Love Peace & Happiness : What more can you want (by Rituraj Verma)

When I first got the chance to review / skip this book , my first assumption was abouth the book to be self help or a philosophical read. But I was still curious (quite rare for me ! ) . Today I am loved , am happy (sort of) and if I think right , I do find myself in peace too. So was I living perfectly ? I hoped this question would be answered in the book and so began my affair with the book.



Stories surround us. Stories about people like us who make difficult and often complex choices that sometimes astound us. You must have come across several people in your own life who closely resemble the characters in these stories. Maybe sometimes, you too have gone through trying moments in your life.

For instance, have you ever been bugged enough with your partner to want to leave? Have you ever had to choose between love and money? Have you ever had to compete with your partner? 


At times like these, haven’t you wished that things happened differently and that you could change how they ended?

Now you will control how the stories in this book end.

Each story centres on the life of an urban middle class character caught in a set of circumstances beyond the character’s control. .

Read the way the stories end in the book, but if you don’t agree with the ending, visit the website for alternate endings.

If you don’t like the way the stories end there either, write your own, and if your ending is selected, see it in print in the next print run with your name in the acknowledgement section.







As soon as I read the concept of alternate ending , the writer in me did a little dance. There have been so many times , I had wanted a story to end differently - maybe ased on mood , love for a chaacter or sometimes just a thought : what if ?


The book has nine stories of people like us - most of them who think like us and a few who dare to be different.  Each story makes you pause ( more 'cause you wonder what different ending could the author have thought of ? What would you want  ? will it be the same as author's thought or different and why ? )


And then after deciding , what you want , what your thoughts justify and your moral decide , you should either stick to the ending / check the alternate ones.


the stories deal with all questions in your head and heart - love , religion , moving on , regrets , secrets , sacrifice , worthy decisions , surprises , unexpected guide , ideologies , freedom , dependence and so on ..


The words are many  , but the bottom line is the same - We all seek love , peace and happiness. Some get one or two of the three right. But the author beautifully explains how all three are important to attain in the long run. The characters criss cross through the stories - like some faces do to your life. you may or may not remember them but chances are, you will. The character development and the details of each one's nature has been described as if some one is sitting next to you and saying , yoou know how he / she is ? and you say , oh yes I understand.

I fell in love with one of the characters - the no nonsense , loving and most caring Bhavna. She for me was the one character who had all the three pillars of  a successful life in place. And she left no stone unturned to make that happen for his husband too.

Saying all this , I had one minor complaints - The alternate endings on web. I so wanted them to be at the end of book or the story itself , or maybe hidden inside some other story . But the web option made me wait for hours twice as I read this book travelling in metro !

And I admit , I need to read the last story again cause thats where all the characters finally gather to form the blanket that this book can be called. And I guess , I missed a few sub plots there.

The book is a definite recco for one read atleast - pick the story you identify with  , the character you feel for , and hope he/she can help you gain few answers in your life.

PS : the foreword by Mrs Verma is a treat to read. Verrry sweet read :)
PPS : I wish the references would have been split from acknowledgements and instead moved to last of the book.

I rate this one 3.5/5 [ + .5 for some strong women cast ]

oh yes, I m biased here :D


5 comments:

  1. wow i want to read this!! You can even change the ending if you do not like it?? Oooh!

    Awesome!!

    Okay nine stories, nine to the limited endings... buying this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you know whats interesting ? Tht you wonder how different the lives be if you chose the end ? and would the dots still connect ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going through the photos on the FB page and I saw your name there and the review link so hopped on here. :D
    I'm excited about reading this.
    And your comment, it makes so much sense. I used to be mad at J.K.Rowling about killing off all Harry's loved ones, but without all that, would we really have a Harry Potter?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect review. like the concept of the title - will borrow it from u sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Blablaholic .. yes , that was the feeling when I tried to imagine alternate ending ..

    hope u njy it :)

    @Pulkit : i gave the book to an aunt of mine . You would have to search some where else !

    ReplyDelete

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...