Pride and Prejudice

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
AUTHOR: Jane Austen
Genre: Novel / Fiction / Classic
ISBN-13: 
9780393976045
NO. OF PAGES: 424
PRICE: Rs. 295 (NORTON EDITION)



EXCERPT: " It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. "
SWARNALI SPEAKS: The excerpt given is the first line of the book. There has hardly been a better example of  sarcasm and irony in literature. Jane Austen has been accused of writing only about the limited homely life of the people of England and having ignored other important social topics that others during her time focussed on. But I believe no one can beat her in her field. She is amazing when it comes to to the household, the daily lives of people.
Jane Austen creates some very interesting characters in her book Pride and Prejudice (which has been my favourite book for ages,I read it every Christmas :P). 
Elizabeth Bennet is intelligent,smart, brave and witty. no wonder Darcy is hopelessly in love with her. I don't know of a more interesting character,every word that comes out of her mouth is worth being quoted.
Darcy,ah can we forget the famous lines said by him (*drools*)- "Such I was, from eight to eight and twenty; and such I might still have been but for you, dearest, loveliest Elizabeth! What do I not owe you! You taught me a lesson, hard indeed at first, but most advantageous. By you, I was properly humbled. I came to you without a doubt of my reception. You showed me how insufficient were all my pretensions to please a woman worthy of being pleased." Can we forget the long long long letter her wrote to Elizabeth? Okay,he is everything a girl wants (yes me included :P).
Apart from these two, Mr. Bennet , Charlotte and Mr.Collins interest me the most,because they seem the most real to me.
The narrative is in the third person but basically tells the story from Elizabeth (Lizzy) Bennet's point of view. The plot follows a plain complexity and resolution with a happy ending but is an amazing read. Has one of the best and wittiest lines any book has.

MY RATING: 4.5 / 5

4 comments:

  1. this is, of course, an all time favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wOw!!
    one of the most famous books.
    the lives of women especially in 19th century has clearly pictured in this great novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aish. I agree completely. The irony is not much has changed since Austen wrote this book. The thoughts of people regarding the status of women sadly remains the same!!

    ReplyDelete

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...