#BookReview: A Violet Fire [Vampires of Avignon#1 ]by Kelsey Quick

A Violet Fire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I came across A Violet Fire through a review post on Leah's blog. Luckily the book was still available on NetGalley for requesting an ARC and I picked it immediately.


In the Vampire Stratocracy of Cain, human blood is scarce. For centuries, councils have sought to assuage the blood shortage by enslaving and breeding humans, turning them into profitable supply units for the rich and the abled.


Today, eighteen-year-old Wavorly Sterling is officially a supply unit, bound to serve her blood willingly to her master for the rest of her life. One of only few humans that was not bred in Cain, Wavorly knows freedom better than anyone, and she is determined to escape the clutches of her oppressors, even if by the hands of death.


But surprises lay beyond every certainty, and within every doubt. Where Wavorly's hatred for both vampires and her enslavement once flowed free as blood, it merely trickles as she grows to admire her reserved, yet receptive master and savior, Anton Zein.

Set in a richly detailed world of fantasy, A Violet Fire is a gripping journey filled with passion, betrayal, lies, and the encouragement we all need to take a stand for our freedom--no matter the cost.



I had started to believe I was over the vampire tales when I finished the House of Night series in 2011 [ damn! that's ancient history it seems ] but then I read AFV. And I read like there is no tomorrow
Two nights of sleeping (very) late and I finished it within 60ish hours. This is not a typical vampire movie with clear wars and petty drama. This is a well-established world of Vampire as the ruling class with their own rules and needs and how humans are enslaved for their cause. 

The book starts with Wavorly's attempt to escape her destiny and failing that, we see her anger and her tendency to speak her mind without caring for the consequences - including her own death. Though this does not change much, it is the very reason that adds such freshness to the plot and the dialogues as the story moves. Though I do not have much love for Wavorly for her exhausting dilemma and struggle, there was something about the story that kept me engrossed and by the end, I was totally invested to know the future of Wavorly and Lord Zein.  

Lord Zein - without being over the top cheesy or brooding, there was enough to like his character and at times take his side too. The other casts were also well developed and used efficiently in the world-building and to move the story at a good pace in the direction it had to. I loved the story and writing so much that when I realized that there is a sequel to the book, I was kind of sad closing the book at a cliffhanger! SO. NOT.DONE !

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...