#BookReview : The five people you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination, but an answer. 





Another year , I have stuck to the ritual of starting the year with Mitch Albom . Unlike other years , I picked the one , I had not read before  - The five people you meet in heaven. All these years , I avoided this book thinking that this would be about people from the central character's life and would not mean that much for me. Perhaps I doubted Mitch Albom is his brilliance , in his magical lessons and making each story valuable to the reader.

This year , I learned about sacrifice and choice ; how every action of ours is linked to even people we do not meet ever in our lifetime. I learned of forgiving the loved ones for their actions, no matter how much it hurt. Most times , there always is their version of love and care that remains unexpressed in all the silence. I felt at peace reading the story of Eddie , like it gave some meaning to reading , to my life at the moment and to my hopes for myself.

This is a beautiful story and I think we all can have some take away from the people Eddie meets.

Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to.” 

“The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.” 

My rating : 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...