Guilty by Choice by Shanti Paramashivan


Kiana Shetty is a young, dynamic and beautiful girl who lives in Mumbai with her mother and a younger brother. Like every recent graduate, she dreams of making it big and making it big quickly. But fate may have other plans for her in the form of her own brother: meet Viraj, Kiana's younger brother, who works at a call center but wants to open his own tattoo studio some day and he will do anything to make that happen. While Kiana deals with Viraaj's dreadful secrets, she also has to put up with Abhit, Viraaj's best friend, who won't stop professing his love for her at every opportunity he gets. It looks like the only person she can trust in all this hullaballoo is Sarthak, her best friend and collegue. But for how long?

'Guilty By Choice' is a story about dreams, about love, about friendship, and above all, family. Because in the end, you do it all for the family, right?

Usually I do not read the blurb right before I pick a book ( I read it only when I buy and then forget about it ) But it so happened that I did read the plot before I opened the book and some where I expected a very messy situation and to see how the writer gets Kiana out of it. 

What I got was a build up too long and the end cut short. There were lot of possible angles for the story and none was followed. But instead we get a pretty detailed account of a Mallu wedding, the usual life of  Kiana and the cast in their society , how we fail to recognize worthy friends and more so how idiotically the love story of Kiana and Abhit goes to the stage of mutual acceptance by the end of the book. And then comes the twist which the reader might be waiting from a long time. But before you could settle down with the flow , the book ends. Ok , I would even have made peace with the end if there was not that last page of epilogue !!

Either let me figure or decide things on my own or give me an explanation that makes total sense.
I enjoyed the breezy tale of Kiana and her loved ones but the last page was a little disappointing. 

My rating : 2.5/5


Buy Guilty by Choice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...