The Descendants - Kaui Hart Hemmings


THE DESCENDANTS

ISBN - 978-0-099-57024-0
FIRST PUBLISHED - 2008
PAGES - 282
BINDING - Paperback
GENRE - Contemporary Romance

AUTHOR - Kaui Hart Hemmings

SYNOPSIS - A descendant of one of the largest landowners, Matt King finds his luck changed when his fun-loving, flighty wife Joanie falls into a coma, victim of a boating accident. Matt is left in sole charge of his two daughters, teenage ex-model and recovering drug addict Alex, and Scottie, a feisty ten-year old. And then Matt discovers Joanie has been having an affair. Deciding to seek out Joannie's lover so that he too has a chance of saying his goodbyes, Matt takes to the road with his daughters on a memorable journey of painful revelations and unexpected humor...

EXCERPT - I have picked my moment. I don't want to hug her because I know I wouldn't like the sensation of not being hugged back, and I don't want to kiss her because I won't be kissed back, but I do kiss her. I press my lips to hers and then I put my hand on her stomach because this seems to be the place where everything comes from, where I feel love and pain, anger and pride, and even though I wasn't planning on doing it this way, I say goodbye. I lean over so my mouth is on her neck, our heads pressed together. Goodbye Joanie. Goodbye, my love, my friend, my pain, my happiness. Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye.

FL Speak - What to do you do when your wife is in a coma and you realize she was having an affair? What do you do when you know you love her despite her flaws and yet do not know how to move forward? What do you do when you learn that the woman with whom you had two kids was planning to sell your fortune to her lover?

A painful yet shockingly beautiful story of a Dad who's suddenly the sole parent of a young 10 year old and a wild 18 year old kid. Matt and Joanie were happy, that's what Matt always thought until he found that Joanie was cheating on him. As the doctors declared her brain-dead, Matt goes on to search for her lover with his daughters so that he too could see her one last time.

The book drove me to tears. Reading Matt's life, being a single parent suddenly thrust into the world of being a guardian, deprived of love and loyalty broke my heart. And he goes to find that jerk because his wife loved him and he though the world around him is crumbling, he still wants to see her happy before she dies. Scottie, the youngest daughter deals with the pain her own way and Alex, who knew her mother was having an affair is battling demons of her own.

There are times when such books make you pause and appreciate what you have. And it makes you wish you never hope to find yourself in such a situation. Great writing, great prose and great conversations in this tragic tale. A must recommend!

My Rating - 4.5 stars

PRICE - INR 399/- [Flipkart Price]

5 comments:

  1. FL!!!! Finally!! Oh my Goddess, I am so delighted to c this review!! :D oh, it's made my day. :) i love d storyline; i'll surely read this. love ur review; i'm so glad u chose this book. waiting to c more of this from ur side. ;) kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the movie and it was absolute pleasure !! Liked the character of Alex's friend. In his own way, he fits so well in with the family's ways and crisis. Glad you read this ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very first line of your review reminded me of an episode from House M.D. Season 1 the episode called "Fidelity".
    Its a relief seeing you review something apart from fantasy...finally!!
    The review is AWESOME ...straight to the top of my must read list :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. saw the movie and liked it. Clooney owned the role of matt, his younger daughter was hillarious. lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am yet to read this one, but the movie is by far the best that last year had to offer :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Book Review: The Teacher by Freida Mcfadden

  It’s Sunday again and I picked up yet another Freida Mcfadden. ‘The Teacher’ is the author’s first release of the year and like her prev...