Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

[review on request]


Twilight(book one of the Twilight saga)
A Stephenie Meyer novel.


ISBN-978-1-904233-65-7
First Edition -. 2006


Author- Stephenie Meyer
Best Sellers- Twilight Saga & The Host

Synopsis-When seventeen year-old Bella Swan leaves sunny Arizona to live with her father in the small and gloomy Pacific North-West town of Forks she doesn’t expect to like it.  After all she has made excuses not to go there enough times over the past few years.  If living in Forks, with its constant mist and rain, wasn’t bad enough she will have to make a whole new set of friends and settle into a new school.

Excerpt- I'd never given much thought to how I would die -- though I'd had reason enough in the last few months -- but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.I stared without breathing across the long room, into the dark eyes of the hunter, and he looked pleasantly back at me.Surely it was a good way to die, in the place of someone else, someone I loved. Noble, even. That ought to count for something.I knew that if I'd never gone to Forks, I wouldn't be facing death now. But, terrified as I was, I couldn't bring myself to regret the decision. When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.
The hunter smiled in a friendly way as he sauntered forward to kill me.

Ria speaks - From the moment I laid eyes on the cover of the book I am going to have to say I was hooked, yes you guessed right I’m one of those die hard twilight fans. Nooo not of the movies(which I hate btw) but of the books, I am one of those words who falls in love with words more than a pretty face and from the moment I started to read Twilight I couldn’t put it down.
It starts off so innocently and so common, a feeling everyone would’ve experienced at some point of time in their lives when we have to get up and leave a world of familiarity behind into the world of unknown. Isabella Swan aka Bella was no different the feelings, the thoughts that she was having were and are so common which is why I guess we can relate and get pulled in so fast we don’t even realize it.

Now this may seem a little clichéd a girl in a new town, a new ‘’pretty’’ face whom everyone seems to like and so will THAT boy whose eye she seems to have caught. Well enter Edward Cullen a dreamboat for any normal sane teenage or non teenage girl. He is Tall, Good looking, Mysterious and according to Bella something that just pulls her to him. But sadly he isn’t having the same thoughts as her considering the one and only class he has with her as lab partners he wants to shift out of so he doesn’t have to spend time with her. Though like any mormal girl she will also not let the feeling go that there is something about him that isn’t right which is when she guesses that he isn’t human. One of my favourite lines in this book is when she asks him how old he is and he replies ‘’seventeen’’ and she asks for how long and he says ‘’awhile’’. Like all fiction super natural beings there always comes a power and each vampire may/may not have one. Edwards power is to be able to read minds but with Bella there is a glitch for some reason her mind is the only mind he can’t read which lends more to why he cant help but being pulled towards her, that is apart from the fact that she has blood running through her veins and the smell of that blood drives him quite nuts.

If you’ve seen the movie you probably know how this proceeds but you have to read the book to feel that pull, feel the magic in the words. Yes we all know Edward Cullen is a vampire and that Bella and him fall in love but like a all great love stories this one too has to fight to survive, from a desire to suck the blood out of her (Edward) to another vampire who would love to do the same, to a sister who hates her and many other complications along the way.
The book somehow weaves it spell on the reader because as a girl not only do you relate to the thoughts, complaining and whining Bella goes about doing you imagine yourself to be her. And froma boys perspective you at first feel a little incredulous over the emotions felt but you too fall in love with the simplicity with which it is all written and if that fail too!! The male masochism and the male ego sure would keep you going.

This Saga is a definite read, its one of those books no matter how old you are you should never miss out on.

Rating- 4.5 out of 5 (yes it is that good)

PRICE - INR 395/- Orion Publications [INR 237 at Flipkart]

 

9 comments:

  1. Nice book it is :)
    Review was worth a read !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so do not want to say this, but hell yeah i love the book. No, am not at all a fan of fangs and claws, but the writing made me love this one...

    Stephenie Meyer excels in bring out the narration in such a way that you do not need conversations at all. Well half of the book actually is full of looking at her-looking at him...blah blah..

    But the action was exhilarating. Yeah, i loved the movie too... the first one only. The rest sucked. And the best scene in the movie was when they played baseball... Hell yeah..

    Move over bella and edward, my favorite character is and always will be Alice Cullen. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes ! I love the book .. except the 3rd part which was kind of ok !
    Movie .. yes .. always .. I still have wall paper of Edward cullen once every 3-4 months .. :D

    And guess what ? many of my friends actually liked the movie [ ones who will never ever read otherwise]

    Full points to Stephenie for the story !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just loved the review! You put it down so well especially that when you read it you imagine yourself to be bella, experiencing and feeling like its happening to you!
    And you picked up one of the finest excerpts too :)
    I particularly like this part because its so easy and simple and yet so captivating.. Even knowing that Bella is foolishly in love with Edward -a vampire, I can't stop hoping that they are together! Thats the beauty of romance :)

    Although I became a Jacob girl after this part, in this part I completely adored Edward :)
    Doesnt every girl wish for that fierce and passionate love of Edward ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Maithili : I totally agree with you gal .. Edward is totally passionate and more wanted since his love is a forbidden desire for both him and Bella .. not with Jacob :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely review :)
    As lovely as this saga itself is :)
    I so adore the mysterious love bind between bella and edward and the lovely way stephenie has described all those scenes,they are sitting amid tress in the jungle,edward is feeling blood flowing down bella's neck and etc etc..I so love this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love your review. It reminded me, why I had once liked these Series. :D Unfortunately, the movie (I HATE Kristin for portraying Bella as a crying moping teen, which is so not in the books!) ruined it for me.
    Your review was worth reading again
    :D :D
    Blessed be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thaaank you allll!!! i suck at keeping up.. so tonight i'm going to finish the other two books.. i'm glad you all loved the books just like i did =)
    Blessed be.

    ReplyDelete

Keep reading, keep suggesting, keep commenting

Regional: 1980 by Anver Abdulla

  Though Anver Abdulla is an accomplished name in Malayalam Detective fiction ( he has given us some genuinely memorable detective Novels li...